Tuesday, January 17, 2012

South Pacific


I couldn't sleep last night. Well, that's not entirely true. I think I did manage to gain some fitful sleep for a few hours, but it was one of those nights where the alarm clock becomes your worst enemy and object of worry as you watch the sleepless minutes tick away into precious time lost that you know will be biting you in the bodunkadunk the next day as you try so desperately to not eat your children. What? Don't all mothers eat their children when they are in rotten moods? Please tell me I'm not the only one.

Realizing that my feet were freezing and not wanting to get out of bed in search of socks, lest I wake even more and lose even more sacred snooze time, I tried desperately to play the little game of "try to stick the ice cubed toes under your husband". Its an art, that game...one that requires total strategy of trying to warm up the feet while keeping the husband asleep. I think my longest time was about 3 seconds max of full foot coverage under one of his toasty legs before he would stir and grumble, at which time I would instantly pretend I had been asleep all along by grumbling something equally incoherent back into his general direction. I'd give it a couple more minutes before trying again. Repetition and refining of the skills paid off, and it was no time that the tootsies were no longer frost-bitten. But it did nothing for my insomnia.
Knowing that insomnia usually happens to those who have copious amounts of information clogging up their overflowing brains, I incredibly have never really had trouble sleeping. I wuv to sleep. Sleep's my fwiend. I can be constantly thinking about appts and tests and bills and ballet and school and soccer and this and that and your mother, and I can still sleep like a baby. But throw in an upcoming, once-in-a-lifetime trip to an exotic land with volcanoes, hammocks, leis, coconut bras and grass skirts, and I can not seem to sleep for all the excitement.

Jay and I have been planning a vacation for just the two of us for...well...as long as we have been married. We set aside money each month in those first few years when he was in grad school and I was working and we was po'. We were going to Jamaica! And then we had good friends get married in a distant state...and then other good friends get married in a distant state, and the Jamaica fund started fresh once again. And then there were kids...and diapers and formula and ear infections and runny noses. And a house. And a van. And a new air conditioner and hot water heater and dishwasher and furniture and carpet. And hospital stays and medical bills. Have you ever seen the Disney movie "Up"?
After over a decade of marriage, our hopes for a "just the two of us" get-away seemed out of reach. But then some amazing things happened...Nate started improving enough to where we felt comfortable leaving him for a few days, and we got word that Jay had a meeting in Hawaii. "Meeting" as in "only one of us will have to pay for a plane ticket and the hotel is covered" type of thing. Ka-ching!

So after giving her a crash course in everything medical that could almost gain her a full-time nursing degree, my mother agreed to come and stay with the kids for the week that Jay and I will be basking in the Hawaiian sun. She should get some sort of medal or something. Or have a psychiatric exam. I'm thinking the latter.

We'll be leaving in t-minus 17 days. And I have exactly that much time to tone these flabby arms and perfect my hula...and find a coconut bra. Or get a psychiatric exam. I'm thinking the latter.
(And these pictures have nothing at all to do with Hawaii, but I hate leaving posts without pictures.)

8 comments:

september on January 17, 2012 at 10:07 PM said...

Good for you--you guys deserve to have this kind of break!! If you don't mind my asking, which island are you going to? We're going to Hawaii in June (Oahu) and I can't wait!! If you have any pointers or suggestions please share!

Amber on January 17, 2012 at 10:09 PM said...

We're going to the big island. We'll be flying into Kona and staying at Waikoloa...or something like that. I just know it has a lot of vowels in the name. :)

Dani on January 17, 2012 at 11:32 PM said...

You almost always make me laugh when I read your post. Take lots of pictures, so the rest of us can live vicariously through them. :)

Anonymous said...

How exciting! You guys deserve it!

Linda

Kyla on January 18, 2012 at 5:41 PM said...

How awesome! We did 3 days/2 nights away last May for our 10 year and it was SO nice! I was nervous about leaving KayTar, but it was a wonderful trip and I'm so glad we did it.

Amanda on January 19, 2012 at 7:54 AM said...

Yay for you guys! The last vacation we went on was a work trip through Bryan's employer back in 2008...its amazing how much more fun you have when you aren't footing the whole bill!!

Owl of the Desert on January 19, 2012 at 6:50 PM said...

So happy for the two of you! Can't wait to hear all about it!

jengame on January 20, 2012 at 10:33 PM said...

Oh, my gosh, how cool is that??
Have fun!!

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez