Saturday, March 3, 2012

Florida winters


I may complain about the mosquitos, snakes, and mold that tends to grow on everything. I may complain about our vehicles turning a nice shade of yellow from the copious amounts of pollen throughout the month of February, thus causing most of us to hand over our licenses to the pharmacists countless times and hope that they don't think we are using the enormous amount of sudafed for a home meth lab. I may complain about the traffic on the interstates this time of year due to the plethora of "snow birds" heading back to their homes in the north. I may complain about the high cost of living, the incredible gas prices, and the toll roads..
...but I will never complain about the weather. Well, maybe if we have another year like 2004 when 5 hurricanes cross our state...but usually, I will not complain about the weather here. Not even when it is still 90 degrees in October and most of the country is experiencing their first taste of that cool, crisp, fall air...okay, okay, maybe I will complain a little then. But usually, I will not complain about the weather we have become quite accustomed to in the 8 years we have lived in the sunshine state.
This is my favorite time of year here. I say that about 5 times throughout the year for various reasons, mainly because there are so many "favorite times of the year" here. But for right now, it is because it is the beginning of bathing suit weather for the kids. They literally spend about 8 months out of the year running around in their bathing suits...prancing through sprinklers, swimming in pools and oceans, running in the rain, and jumping in puddles left by daily summer thunderstorms.
Due to this, it is imperative that we have at least 2-3 bathing suits per kid each year. Most people budget for winter coats, hats, and mittens...we budget for swim suits and sunscreen. Our kids may be jealous that most kids get the opportunity to build snowmen and makeshift igloos each winter, but in return, they can prance around in shorts and t-shirts for 3/4 of the year, literally.
  
I wouldn't want it any other way at this point. I will take countless mosquito bites, searching for ticks on my kids after a long day's play, and watching my every step in the yard for fear of a snake under my foot...I'll take it all for the gorgeous sunny days and warm weather we have here. I love living in Florida. Especially this time of year. 

3 comments:

Kyla on March 4, 2012 at 10:26 AM said...

Sounds a lot like Texas! This is one of my favorite times of year...the other one is in the fall when it is the same kind of temps. My least favorite time is summer. 115 degrees should be ILLEGAL!

Portland Pest Control on March 5, 2012 at 5:53 AM said...

I really enjoyed your article. More power to you!

Toni on March 5, 2012 at 12:57 PM said...

Figures you post this today! I have really been toying with the idea of moving to FLA. I am a Jersey girl born and bread but I want my kids to be outside all year, I want a change. We have so much family in FLA already, so ..... we'll see!

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez