Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The mundane


When I am 90 years old...when my mind and eyesight and hearing have failed me in so many ways...I want so badly to be able to remember the mundane days of our life. The hours that remain the same ticking by day after day, year after year. The times when you are just going through the motions of daily life. Those are the times I want to remember. For those are the times where I think that so much of our love and zeal for life is stored...

In the times when we teach our children to be independent...to develop the skills to take care of themselves one day...

Like brushing their own teeth:

 And teaching them to dress themselves...how ever old they may be before they master the task:

 Having a periodic game of "Who smiles first is the loser"...in which they always start out so strong...
 ...but never win. Its just too hard for them. To maintain a frown long enough to win this game is virtually impossible...
 
 ...unless the parents let them win, which is what they all do most of the time. But sometimes, just sometimes, its okay to let them loose so you can see that genuine smile. The one you love so much.
 When I am 90, I want to remember the initial impossible task of putting on socks...
...especially when there were so many times that they got sidetracked and started an impromptu puppet show...
 
 ...that always concluded with one sock hand eating the other. And always, always ended with laughter and the rolling of eyes of such a mundane task.
 I want to remember the down time of giggling at TV shows right along with the siblings.
 When I am 90 years old, I want to remember this. Because this is daily life. 

4 comments:

Anne on March 15, 2012 at 10:13 PM said...

Amen! That post brought tears to my eyes. You are so right! May we always cherish every moment we spend with our children, no matter what we are doing.

Clara-Leigh on March 16, 2012 at 10:00 PM said...

I needed to read that!!!!! Hugs!!

Kyla on March 19, 2012 at 7:52 PM said...

I love this!

Melanie Mueller on March 28, 2012 at 3:58 PM said...

Love this post! He is such a handsome little guy!!!

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez