Sunday, December 16, 2012

Newtown, CT


I had sat down to eat lunch and check facebook during the first lull of that busy Friday morning when I first read of the devastating news of Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT. Grief stricken and in a state of disbelief, I sat in front of the TV screen trying to comprehend the magnitude and heartache of what had happened...just like thousands of other Americans at that time.

I left early to pick the girls up from school and just sat in the parking lot. I was so anxious to put my arms around both of them and just have them under my watchful eye again. I couldn't help but imagine myself in the tragic situation that was happening in Connecticut. What if it was our elementary school? Our children? Our friends? Our teachers? What if that was our community?

People were already talking about trying to not expose your children to the horrific news of the day. "Protect their innocence" was one quote that I saw several times. I understand the thoughts behind such statements, as we do not wish to create fear in our children who are not familiar with the atrocities of our world. Nor do we want to unwillingly expose them to the heartache that death is not only reserved for the old and feeble.

Sadly, my girls are very familiar with the fact that some children do not live to adulthood. So many of our little friends afflicted with mitochondrial disease have passed away the past few years, and we all have learned to live with the silent daily reminder that the future of children born with this genetic disease is very uncertain. The poignant questions they have asked about their brother and our little friends who have died have provoked intensely emotional conversations that have bonded us together like nothing else and caused these two precious girls to mature in a way I had never imagined.

After picking my girls up from school Friday afternoon and hugging them for much longer than they ever anticipated, we sat down together as I explained what we knew had transpired that morning when we all were going about our normal schedules. I respect those who want to shelter their children from such tragedy, but in knowing the emotional level my girls can handle at this point in their lives, I wanted to be the one to tell them of the news of this act of utter and complete evil that had horribly broken the lives of so many families.

It was a precious but solemn time of communion with my 2 oldest children while explaining the unimaginable events of that day and answering any questions they had. I wanted to make sure they knew that we needed to be in constant prayer for the families who lost children, grandchildren, sisters, brothers, and wives during this terrible time...just like I stress to them the importance of praying for the families who have lost their children to mitochondrial disease when our little friends die. And just as I expected from past experiences of ending these difficult conversations with my precious girls, Abby departed to a place where she could spend some time to herself and think, and Emma stayed directly by my side so she could ask more questions to understand the situation better and be able to seek the comfort of touch she needed by being directly by my side.

Tucked tightly in my arms, Emma and I talked about this terrible situation a bit before she instantly sat up and locked her compassionate eyes with my own. With tear-rimmed eyes and trembling lips, she uttered something that will stay with me forever: "God can make good come out of this."

God can make good come out of this.

It was the emotional utterings of someone who was the exact same age as most of the children murdered on that horrifying day that spoke volumes to my soul...a 6 year old child with the spiritual maturity to minister to her own mother.

I trust that God is hearing the cries of an entire nation and holding these dear families up during this unfathomably heartbreaking time in their lives. I pray that he is holding each one of them up in his arms.  And I also pray that this disaster brings our families and our nation closer to Him. Come Quickly, Lord Jesus.

6 comments:

Jessica on December 17, 2012 at 12:46 AM said...

God speaks the loudest through these little souls at times. Praying for God to bring more good out of these bitter seeds than the evil that was planned. :(
I think you are doing a great job teaching your children how to handle evil by teaching them at even a young age to look to the only one who could possible give them help and hope in these times. The struggle and privilege of teaching Eithene how to make sense of the life she'd been given in the context of knowing God was the hardest and most treasured gift we ever gave to her, and I still feel awed by the amount of insight she was given at such a young age. God said a lot to me through her.

Amanda on December 17, 2012 at 8:33 AM said...

This is just so impossibly hard to understand for an adult but for our children must be totally beyond understanding..yet they respond with more clarity than anyone else. Those little angels in heaven are reaching down and changing the world.. it is the only way I can process this tragedy.

Rachel on December 17, 2012 at 11:21 AM said...

Emma is a wise young girl.

My heart breaks for everyone involved in this tragedy. God is the great comforter and he can provide them with a peace that passes all understanding.

Milly on December 17, 2012 at 6:59 PM said...

thank you for sharing,
Amen, may He come quickly.
Love, Amelia

Kelle on December 17, 2012 at 9:22 PM said...

Wow, from the mouth of babes. Thanks for sharing her precious words of innocent wisdom.

Jessica on December 18, 2012 at 12:03 AM said...

Amen.

Blog Archive

Followers

 

Life with the Ferrells Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez